About us

 

       In 1931, a Congregational Methodist Preacher named Bro Alton Smith held a revival at McKnight Seminary.  The Congregational Methodist Church was formed sometime after that.  The Congregational Methodist Church held Sunday Services every week.  Because the church could not afford to pay a full time pastor, the pastor only came on Sundays.  Families in the church volunteered to cook Sunday lunch and supper for the pastor and his family each week.  The Wednesday Prayer Meeting Service was led by a member of the congregation on a rotating basis.

        The Congregational Methodist Church differs from The Methodist Church in it’s form of government.  The Congregational Methodist Church interviews and hires their pastor.  Members support the church as THE LORD blesses them.   Each church operates independently of the denomination and supports and participates in the denomination on a voluntary basis. The current church sanctuary was built in 1956 as a joint project between McKnight Congregational Methodist Church and the McKnight Cemetery Committee (who take care of the cemetery across the road).  The building did not have any plumbing in it because there was no water there.

        In mid-1960, the water system was put in the community and the Church had a water meter installed.  Also about that time, the Church built a set of Sunday School rooms physically adjacent  to the sanctuary because of growth.  The additional Sunday School Building also had water and restrooms.

        The Church became able to pay a full time pastor in 1971.  In 1972, the Church also built a parsonage near the church for the pastoral family.  Rev. Edwin Fenton (a hometown boy) was the first full time pastor and the first to live in the McKnight Church Parsonage.

Because of continued growth,  a Fellowship Hall and additional Sunday School rooms was added to sanctuary and Sunday School buildings about 1976.  Some years later, a gym was built on the little hill behind the church because of continued growth, and a new fellowship hall was added to this building as well.   

        An agreement between the McKnight Cemetery Committee and the Church was reached and the Church was given a 99 year lease.  With growth continuing, the need for Sunday School rooms was again an issue.  The church needed more and bigger Sunday School Rooms.  The latest building program took place in 2014 to start to solve that problem.  The existing sanctuary was remodeled and enlarged.  A foyer was added along with bathrooms, a Sunday School Room and an audio/visual room and a larger front porch.  The Church also installed audio/visual equipment with screens and subscribed to the Internet.  The old Fellowship Hall and Sunday School rooms got some much needed updating and remodeling.

         McKnight Congregational Methodist Church continues to thrive and grow.  We have a very active youth program, ladies Bible Studies,  and various outreach ministries including Vacation Bible School, Christmas Baskets, IMPACT Cushing and support and involvement with our local school at Cushing, Texas.

We welcome all who would like to join us as we serve THE LORD.

 

© 2014 by McKnight Church Texas. Proudly created with Wix.com

  • facebook-square
  • Twitter Square
  • Google Square